Church Visits – 11 July 2018

On Wednesday 11th July Richard Latham led our visits to Brookland then Old Romney and Ivychurch.

St Augustine, Brookland TN29 9QP is well known for its timber bell tower like three candle snuffers stacked one on top of another. The interior is full of interest including a font with the signs of the zodiac, a tithe pen, late medieval pews and 18th century box pews.

Although the present church dates back to circa 1250 the dedication to a Saxon saint suggests the presence of an earlier church built by the monks of St Augustine’s Abbey at Canterbury when they were Lords of the Manor of Broke. The famous Kentish spire bell tower which also dates back to circa 1250 and is weather proofed with cedar shingles, stands on the ground adjacent the church probably due to the softness of the ground on which the church was built, evidenced by the church arcades leaning at a perilous angle.

St-Augustines-Church-Brookland

This is the South East Chapel with rare 13th century wall painting depicting the martyrdom of St Thomas Becket above the altar tomb of John Plumber, who as Baron of New Romney Cinque Port attended James 1 at his Coronation.

South East Chapel St Augustines Church Brookland

The Font St Augustine’s Church, Brookland

Brookland’s 12th century lead font is the most important of the thirty lead fonts surviving in this country, and the only one decorated with the signs of the zodiac in ornamental arcading above the occupations of the month, indicating the influence of early calendars which were attached to Psalters.

 

 

 

 

 

St Clement, Old Romney TN29 0HP is described by Pevsner as “delightfully unrestored with an unusually full set of 18th century fittings and an especially fine crown post nave roof”.

A Saxon church is believed to have originally occupied the site although the present church dates back to the 11th or 12th century, with enlargements carried out in the 13th century; a dedication to St Clements tends to relate to the period of the Dane King Canute.

St Clements Church Old Romney

The Altar Rail; with the tomb of John Deffray, Huguenot Rector of St Clement’s Church who died 1738 in the foreground, and behind the Altar Rail is a communion table and painted wooden boards with the Lord’s Prayer, the Creed, and the Commandments.

St Clements Church Old Romney The Altar Rail

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Ten Commandments viewed from the Nave through the south hagioscope.

St Clements Church Old Romney The Ten Commandments Viewed from the Nave

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

St George, Ivychurch TN29 0AL is an impressive church left with few parishioners with a good set of arcades and another fine Marsh church. It dates back to the mid 13th century.

An Anglo Saxon church may have previously occupied the site since Ivychurch is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 and the discovery of a piece of Anglo Norman moulding suggests the building of a new church following the Norman conquest. Known as the Cathedral of Romney Marsh, being built to such a grand scale probably due to its connection with the Archbishops of Canterbury.

St Georges Church Ivychurch

St Georges Church Ivychurch South Entrance With Wall Painting Above

South entrance with wall painting above.

St Georges Church Ivychurch Nave Chancel and South Aisle Looking East

Nave, Chancel, and South Aisle looking east.